Description and Composition of Cytopros
Uses of Cytotec
- Cytotec is used to prevent stomach ulcer in people taking pain killers (NSAIDs) regularly and in the elderly.
- It is used to treat pain killers induced ulcer (or just normal stomach ulcer).
- Pregnancy termination < 13 weeks. Misoprostol is used to cause abortion in pregnancy less than 13 weeks of age
- It can be used to induce or support labour in pregnant women at term.
- Postpartum hemorrhage prevention and treatment. Misoprostol is used to control bleeding after delivery.
- Post abortion care and in the management of miscarriage
- It is used in missed abortion and in intrauterine fetal death. Misoprostol is used when a baby dies in the womb to cause its delivery
- It is used to ripen cervix for normal delivery and for cervical preparation for surgical abortion
Dosage of Cytotec
For abortion and other uses:
Side effects of Cytotec
- Stomach pain and cramps
- Increased or irregular menstruation
- Rupture of womb
How Cytotec works
Mechanism of Action of Cytotec
For abortion and others uses:
Interactions: What to avoid while taking Cytotec
- Magnesium antacids
Contradictions of Cytotec
- serious/unstable health problems including but not limited to hemorrhagic disorders
- heart disease and severe anemia or concurrent anticoagulant therapy.
- signs of pelvic infection or sepsis (should immediately be referred for surgical evacuation and treatment of infection)
- IUD in place (remove IUD before use).
- Women who have had a previous cesarean birth and are greater than 18 weeks gestation and using misoprostol for uterine evacuation should consider a lower dose of misoprostol.
Additional precautions for postpartum hemorrhage:
- If a woman has had a severe reaction (pyrexia or severe shivering) and needs a second dose of misoprostol for treatment, consider use of oxytocin as an alternative as the uterotonic if available, if not available treat PPH with misoprostol and if bleeding continues after provision of uterotonics, causes of PPH other than atony should be considered and other steps to stop the bleeding should be explored.
Is Cytotec Used in Pregnancy
Is Cytotec Used while Breast feeding
Additional considerations for pregnancy termination, post abortion care, missed abortion, and intrauterine fetal death
- Uterine rupture is a rare complication. The risk of uterine rupture increases with advancing gestational age and with prior uterine surgery including cesarean birth.
- Retained products or ongoing pregnancy may require another dose of misoprostol or surgical completion. Tell her to seek care immediately if she experiences any of the warning signs of possible complications.
- Excessive blood loss; more than 2 maxi pads per hour for more than 2 hours – especially if accompanied by prolonged dizziness, lightheadedness and increasing fatigue.
- Signs of infection: High fever that occurs any day after the day misoprostol is taken: 38 degrees Celsius or higher for more than 24 hours.
- Severe pain for more than a few hours, abdominal cramping that continues for more than 1 day after taking tablets, or abdominal pain that is severe.
- Feeling very sick, with or without fever, and persistent severe nausea or vomiting after the day misoprostol is used.
- Unusual or bad-smelling vaginal discharge, especially if accompanied by severe cramps or abdominal pain.