In this article, we would let you know the right dosage of Azithromycin for the treatment of Syphils.
But before we continue, we would want you to know that Azithromycin is not the drug of choice for the treatment of Syphils. This does not mean that Azithromycin is ineffective for its treatment.
For the treatment of Syphils, regardless of its stage, long-acting Benzathine penicillin G is the drug of choice.
For primary, secondary and early latent stage of Syphils, a single dose of long-acting Benzathine penicillin G is enough to cure it. On the other hand, 3 doses of long-acting Benzathine penicillin G, given once weekly is needed in late latent stage of Syphils.
Dosage of Azithromycin for Syphils
Azithromycin can be used for the treatment of Syphils when long-acting Benzathine penicillin G is contraindicated, which is often the case when patients are hypersensitive to the latter.
The dosages of Azithromycin for adult for Syphils treatment are as follows:
- 2g given once
- 500mg given once daily for 10 days
- 500mg given every other day for 11 days.
- Mashkilleyson AL, et al. Treatment of syphilis with azithromycin. Int J STD AIDS. Accessed: 27 November, 2022
- Riedner G, et al. Single-dose azithromycin versus penicillin G benzathine for the treatment of early syphilis. N Engl J Med. 2005. Accessed 27 November, 2022
- Primary and Secondary Syphilis Treatment. Center for Disease Control. Accessed 27th November, 2022