Description and Composition of Nestin Cream
Table of Contents
Nestin is a broad spectrum antimycotic cream with fungicidal action for local application. Nestin contains Clotrimazole 1% or 2% as its active pharmaceutical ingredient. It also contains inert base cream (o/w) made to 100% of its volume. Nestin cream is odourless, can be washed off and does not stain.
Nestin has a reliable action on dermatophytes, yeasts and other fungi.
Uses and Indications of Nestin Cream
The confirmed indications for Nestin Cream include:
- All dermatomycoses due to dermatophytes (e.g. Trichophyton species),
- All dermatomycoses due to yeasts (Candida species)
- Dermatomycoses due to moulds and other fungi.
- Skin diseases showing secondary infection with these fungi,
To the dermatomycoses listed under 1-4 belong for example:
- interdigital mycoses (e.g. Athlete’s foot)
- paronychias (associated with nail mycoses)
- mycoses in skin folds
- Candida vulvitis
- Candida balanitis
- pityriasis versicolor
Application and Dosage of Nestin Cream
Nestin cream is thinly applied 2-3 times daily to the diseased sites and rubbed in. On account of the excellent efficacy, a small amount of cream is usually sufficient for an area about the size of the palm.
For the treatment to become a full success, reliable and sufficiently long application of Nestin cream is important (below-mentioned). The duration of treatment varies, it depends among other factors on the extent and localisation of the disease.
It is usually in:
- dermatomycoses 3 – 4 weeks
- Candida vulvitis and Candida balanitis 1 – 2 weeks
- erythrasma and pityriasis versicolor approx. 3 weeks
In fungal infection of the feet, to prevent relapses, treatment should be continued for about 2 weeks beyond the disappearance of all signs of disease. After washing, the feet should be thoroughly dried (spaces between the toes), before applying the cream.
Side Effects of Nestin
When applied topically, Nestin is perfectly tolerated. Although, in some persons, skin irritation may be experienced. Some persons can also feel pain or a burning or stinging sensation.
Other side effects include:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- skin irritation, burning
If any of these effects is non-tolerable, please discontinue its use and contact your doctor or pharmacist immediately.
With external application, no systemic effects are to be expected.