Description and Composition of Unidoxy
Mechanism of Actions and Pharmacology Unidoxy
Indications and Uses of Unidoxy
- Rickettsial infections, including typhus, Rocky Mountain spotted fever and Q fever.
- Chlamydial infections, including psittacosis, lymphogranuloma venereum, trachoma
- Mycoplasmal infections, especially those caused by Mycoplasma pneumoniae, and inclusion conjunctivitis.
- Brucellosis and plague (use in association with streptomycin).
- Tularemia, chronic bronchitis, chancroid, granuloma inguinale, urinary tract infections, acne.
- Malabsorption syndromes such as tropical sprue and Whipple’s disease.
- Cholera, relapsing fever, leptospirosis and early stage of Lyme disease.
- Balantidiasis, amoebic dysentery (use in association with an amoebicide).
- Syphilis, yaws, gonorrhoea, actinomycosis, anthrax, rat bite fever and acute necrotising ulcerative gingivitis.
Contraindications of UnidoxyUnidoxy is not to be used in some persons and in situations if when it is indicated. Some of where it should not be used are as enlisted below.
- Avoid the use of Unidoxy in patients who have shown hypersensitivity to tetracyclines.
- The use of doxycycline is not recommended during the last half of pregnancy, nursing or breastfeeding mothers and children under the age of 8 years as tetracyclines may cause permanent discolouration of the teeth, enamel hypoplasia and inhibition of linear skeletal growth.
Precautions to Observe while Using Unidoxy
- Care must be taken when liver function is impaired,
- Unidoxy may Interfere with some diagnostic tests including determination of urine catecholamines and glucose.
- It is unsafe in patients with porphyria
Side Effects of UnidoxySome side effects associated with the use of Unidoxy including the following:
- Nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea.
- Discoloration of infant’s or children’s teeth
- Cramps or buming of the stomach.
- Sore mouth or tongue (fungal overgrowth, hypertrophy of the papilla)
- Increased sensitivity to sunlight
- Itching of the rectal or genital areas.
- Leukocytosis, neutropenia, leukopenia, atypical lymphocytes, toxic granulation of granulocytes, haemolytic anaemia, thrombocytopenia and thrombocytopenic purpura has occured.
Unidoxy Drug InteractionsThis list below are drugs that interact with Unidoxy and therefore should not be taken together or caution observed while using it together.
- Alkalis, aluminium hydroxide, calcium, iron and magnesium diminish the absorption of doxycycline.
- Concurrent use with penicillin, barbiturates, carbamazepine, phenytoin and sodium bicarbonate is not recommended.
- Hepatotoxic and nephrotoxic drugs should not be given with doxycycline. Examples of these drugs can be gotten from your doctor or pharmacist if needed.
Overdosage Clinical features of UnidoxyIf Unidoxy is overdosed, some of the symptoms and clinical features you may experience include the following:
- Perianal itching
- Skin eruption
Treatment of Unidoxy OverdosageIf you overdose Unidoxy, the following measures are recommended:
- Call your healthcare provider or local poison control immediately if you are an out patient.
- Emesis or gastric lavage, if appropriate; with the necessary emergency measures, if required.
Dosage and Administration of UnidoxyAdults: Oral, 200 mg on the first day, then 100 mg once daily. Acne: Oral, 50 mg daily for 6 10 weeks, Note: Effect of Unidoxy on teeth should be considered. Therapy should be continued for at least 10 days in group A beta-haemolytic streptococcal infections.
Storage of UnidoxyHow to store Unidoxy: Store below 25 C. Protect from light and moisture. Keep every medicine away from children.
Chemical Structure of Unidoxy
Do you need to know more about your drugs?
Do you have a need to talk to a pharmacist?
Then use the button below to chat a pharmacist